16 Myths About Obamacare
If you listen to the Palins, Bachmanns, conservative talk radio hosts, and Obama haters of the world you’d believe that the implementation of the Affordable Care Act, AKA Obamacare, is the beginning of the end times. PoltiFact blows holes in the top myths circulating about the law.
1. The health care law rations care, like systems in Canada and Great Britain. False.
2. The health care law has “death panels.” Pants on Fire.
3. Muslims are exempt from the health care law. Pants on Fire.
4. The IRS is going to be “in charge” of “a huge national database” on health care that will include Americans’ “personal, intimate, most close-to-the-vest-secrets.” Pants on Fire.
5. Congress is exempt from Obamacare. False.
6. Under Obamacare, people who “have a doctor they’ve been seeing for the last 15 or 20 years, they won’t be able to keep going to that doctor.” Mostly False.
7. The health care law is a “government takeover” of health care. Pants on Fire.
8. “All non-US citizens, illegal or not, will be provided with free health care services.” Pants on Fire.
9. Because of Obamacare, health care premiums have “gone up slower than any time in the last 50 years.” False.
10. Under Obamacare, “75 percent of small businesses now say they are going to be forced to either fire workers or cut their hours.” Pants on Fire.
11. “At age 76 when you most need it, you are not eligible for cancer treatment” under the health law. Pants on Fire.
12. The health care law includes “a 3.8% sales tax” on “all real estate transactions.” Pants on Fire.
13. “Obamacare is . . . the largest tax increase in the history of the world.” Pants on Fire.
14. A “hidden” provision in the health care law taxes sporting goods as medical devices. Pants on Fire.
15. Obamacare will question your sex life. Pants on Fire.
16. An Obamacare provision will allow “forced home inspections” by government agents. Pants on Fire.