The Dumbest Things Presidents Have Said And, Sorry, Donald, Obama Isn’t One Of Them
Clark Young has a great take-down of The Donald, who believes that President Obama’s statement that he’s more worried about a Nuke in Manhattan than what Russia will do, is really really dumb. Or, in his words, “absolutely the dumbest — I guess I have to say one– but maybe I can say the single dumbest statement I have ever heard a president make.”
But wait! Young has gathered some really dumb comments made by presidents:
- “The crotch, down where your nuts hang, is always a little too tight.” – Lyndon Johnson in a White House recording.
- “I’m President of the United States, and I’m not going to eat anymore broccoli.” – George H. W. Bush, begging SNL‘s Dana Carvey to combine his talents.
- “That depends on what the meaning of ‘is’ is.” – Bill Clinton role-playing as Descartes before the Grand Jury.
- Of course, dumb comments aren’t just silly, as Trump implies. How about quotes with grave and aloof implications:
- “Brownie, you’re doing a heck of a job.” – George W. Bush to FEMA administrator Michael D. Brown.
- “Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.” – Herbert Hoover in an address to the Nebraska Republican congress.
- “When the President does it, that means that it is not illegal.” – Richard Nixon in a 1977 interview with David Frost.