Justice Asked That Robbery Video Not Be Released
The Department of Justice asked Ferguson, MO police not to release video of Michael Brown robbing a convenience store, but they did it anyway.
County police had planned to release the video on Thursday, but were instructed not to by the DOJ, over concerns that the video would increase tensions in the community, a law enforcement official told CNN Saturday.
Police released the video on Friday at the same time it was announced that officer Darren Wilson shot down Mr. Brown.
During a press conference on Friday morning, Ferguson Police Chief Thomas Jackson said that Mr. Brown was the “primary suspect” in the robbery and that Mr. Wilson had been responding to the alert when he encountered Mr. Brown. At a conference on Friday afternoon, Mr. Jackson then added that Mr. Wilson was not aware of the robbery when he shot Mr. Brown, and that he initially engaged the teenager because he was walking down the street blocking traffic.[su_sky_ad]