500 Pound Body Causes Fire At Virginia Crematory
A Virginia crematorium caught fire on Wednesday afternoon when an employee was cremating a 500 pound body. The fire marshal is ruling it an accident.
The manager said in 20 years of working there, this was a first.
[su_center_ad]According to WSLS, the manager said the fire happened as a result of the size of the body his workers were processing at the time.
Jerry Hendrix explained that when it comes to handling obese bodies, extra steps are taken to ensure the cremation process goes smoothly.
He said the worker took all the right steps but because of the 500 pound body, things took an unexpected turn.
“The body was so obese that the actual body fat came off and went straight up the sack and hit the roof material, the rubber roof we have up there and that’s what made it go up like it did…It was no negligence involved in it. My guys, we did all we could. Once it started, the grease hit the roof and started the fire, the only thing we could do is dial 911 and get the fire department here,” Hendrix said.
None of the three other bodies which were on the premises were damaged in the process.
The company was able to finish preparing the 500 pound body later Wednesday.
The fire was contained to the roof and was under control within half an hour. No one was injured in the fire, but the business will be closed for a few days in order to repair damage to the roof and furnace.
Watch courtesy of WSLS:
WSLS 10 NBC in Roanoke/Lynchburg Va
H/T: @ComgenKDT with thanks.[su_csky_ad]
Image: Sheila-Bruce Glass.