December 24, 2014 10:30 am -

Ryan Roche of Lehi, Utah is the eggnog chugging champ of his office. Quite an honor!


His prize? A $50 gift certificate to Ruth’s Chris Steak House and three days in the hospital with pneumonia.

“I just decided I was going to win. So I pretty much just opened it up and poured it down my throat,” Roche told ABC News. “Two hours later I was laying on the couch, shaking uncontrollably, nauseous, having fevers and panting.”

According to doctors, Lehi managed to get the alcohol-free eggnog in his lungs, resulting in an infection.[su_csky_ad]

D.B. Hirsch
D.B. Hirsch is a political activist, news junkie, and retired ad copy writer and spin doctor. He lives in Brooklyn, New York.

4 responses to Winner Of Eggnog Chugging Contest Winds Up In ICU

  1. arc99 December 24th, 2014 at 10:42 am

    I love Ruth’s Chris, but last time I was there $50 would barely cover dinner for one person, and that would be just the main course. Appetizer, drinks or dessert would be an additional cost. Classic case of half a loaf.

    It’s like giving someone a $1000 gift certificate towards the purchase of a brand new Gibson Les Paul guitar. Nice gesture, but you are still $1000 short.

  2. Dan December 24th, 2014 at 10:52 am


  3. Gindy51 December 24th, 2014 at 12:06 pm

    Smooth move, ex lax. Man what an idiot.

  4. shocktreatment December 24th, 2014 at 1:06 pm

    While the eggnog may have been alcohol free, it’s a reasonable guess that Ryan Roche wasn’t.

    People usually react very strongly to anything other than gases like air entering their bronchi. The general exceptions are obvious: people with certain types of handicaps, people medicated to avoid such reaction like those prepped for anesthesia, and, you guessed it, people impaired by drugs or alcohol.

    Aspiration pneumonia is no joke.

    More and more, it seems that hospitals need a ‘dumb@ss ward’.