Death By Chewing Gum
A young woman may have died because of chewing too much gum.
Samantha Jenkins, 19, collapsed in a violent fit inside her home after complaining of a headache in June 2011.
“She had complained of feeling unwell that day and told me she felt a headache coming on and had pins and needles,” Jenkins’ mother, Maria Morgan, 45, said to the Swansea Coroner’s Court. “She went upstairs that night and suddenly shouted down to me: ‘Is this what it feels like to die? I feel paralyzed’.”
Jenkins later died in a hospital of cerebral hypoxia (brain swelling) caused by convulsions due to low levels of calcium, magnesium and salt in her body. Jenkins’ death was initially attributed to natural causes.
However, after Jenkins’ death, Morgan looked through her daughter’s belongings, where she found hundreds of sugar-free Trident chewing gum wrappers. Morgan believed her daughter’s death was a direct result of the teenager’s excessive consumption of chewing gum. Jenkins was known to chew up to 14 pieces of mint gum a day.