Maine Man Dies Trying To Launch Fireworks From Top Of His Head
Drinking and fireworks don’t mix.
Devon Staples and his friends had been drinking and setting off fireworks on Saturday night in the backyard of a friend’s home in the small eastern Maine city of Calais, said Stephen McCausland, a spokesman for the state Department of Public Safety.
Staples, 22, of Calais, placed a fireworks mortar tube on his head and set it off, McCausland said.
The firework exploded, killing Staples instantly.
His death is the first fireworks fatality in Maine since the state legalised fireworks on 1 January 2012, authorities said.