Leaked Comey Memos: The New Reveals Make Trump Look Even Worse!
This evening, the Justice Department released former FBI director James Comey’s memos concerning meetings with Donald Trump and other members of his presidential campaign and White House staff to Congress — and, naturally, Republicans leaked them to the press just before Comey appeared on MSNBC’s The Rachel Maddow Show..
Here are the top reveals not previously reported by the press or in Comey’s new must-read book, “A Higher Loyalty”:
- Comey had to provide on-the-job training for a clueless, uninformed Donald Trump concerning correct executive branch protocols concerning the White House and Justice Department. (Hat tip: Twitter’s brilliant @spicyfiles)
- Comey reiterated to Reince Priebus that portions of the Michael Steele dossier were “corroborated by other intelligence” (this despite redactions).
- Talk about awkward! Michael Flynn plopped down and chatted with Comey.
- During one meeting at the White House, then Chief of Staff Reince Priebus checked with Comey to see if they were having a “private conversation,” then asked Comey, “Do you have a FISA order on Mike Flynn?”
- Trump told Comey that “we need to go after the reporters, and referred to the fact that 10 or 15 years ago we put them in jail to find out what they know, and it worked.”
- Trump threatened to personally sue Christopher Steele over dossier (so far, he has not).
- “The President said ‘the hookers thing’ is nonsense but that Putin had told him ‘we have some of the most beautiful hookers in the world.’ (He did not say when Putin had told him this and I don’t recall [redacted].”
Twitter, meanwhile, has been reacting to the memos.
Why do I have the feeling Republicans are going to regret asking for these memos. https://t.co/qbO3Y4T8Te
— shauna (@goldengateblond) April 20, 2018
If demanding that DOJ turn over the #ComeyMemos was a bluff on House Republicans’ part (to create an excuse to fire Rosenstein), it may have backfired spectacularly.
(Unless their goal was to dramatically bolster Comey’s credibility.)
— Steve Vladeck (@steve_vladeck) April 20, 2018
Wait…this was Jan 27th days after Flynn had been interviewed by the FBI at the White House, after Yates had warned McGahn.
Holly hell if you see Comey at a poker table, just turn around and walk away. Comey’s poker face is strong pic.twitter.com/4AeWVqjTEW
— SpicyFiles (@SpicyFiles) April 20, 2018
Hey, Devin: actions have consequences!
1) Nunes invents unmasking scandal… ends up the subject of an ethics investigation.
2) Nunes pulls his #ReleaseTheMemo stunt… reveals Papadopoulos, not Page, prompted the Russia probe.
3) Nunes demands Comey memos be released… reveals Putin told Trump about hookers.
— Jesse Lehrich (@JesseLehrich) April 20, 2018
— John Aravosis (@aravosis) April 20, 2018
Mark my words: There will be Republicans who get thrown in prison for selectively leaking the #ComeyMemos
— Scott Dworkin (@funder) April 20, 2018
So TV news new normal is talking about how beautiful Russian hookers are, at 9 pm, with the most prominent cable host available AND the fired FBI director. OOOKAY then.
— Ale (@aliasvaughn) April 20, 2018